Monday 22 December 2014

PROSTATE CANC*R PROJECT - "the radiation series" - CROWDFUNDING - October / November 2013

INTRODUCTION

This is the text and paintings that were used in the two crowdfunding campaigns to help me raise money in October and November 2013 (prior to and during radiation treatments), so I could do the series of paintings I called the PROSTATE CANC*R PROJECT - "the radiation series" to illustrate my response to the radiation treatments for the return of my prostate cancer.
The campaigns concluded in 2013. The rewards and such are still included since they are part of the original text.

The second posting in this blog "ON BEING BUNNY" of PROSTATE CANC*R PROJECT - "the radiation series" - ERRING ON THE MOUNT is essentially five months after the crowdfunding campaign and the radiation treatments.
.....


INSPIRATION PAINTING - “RED SKY - QUILTS”
- 24" x 24"
 - acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips 

©2013 - BRONSON SMITH

Out of adversity comes creativity - determination - and the freedom to create.

In the fall of 2009, I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and had surgery 6 weeks later. I had been in remission for three (3) years when my PSA numbers started rising this spring. The cancer is back.


In October 2013, I am starting radiation treatments at my local hospital - PRHC - Peterborough Regional Health Centre  - at their new radiation bunker. 
A couple of years back I participated in an Art fundraiser at my Studio to help them raise money to build it. I didn't think at the time I would be using it.
This is not a boo-hoo situation , but more of an empowerment attack.
 I will create wonderful things while they zap me to kill the cancer. 
I will share with others through my paintings what I am feeling week to week - this is a 7 week project.
The end result will be a series of 7 paintings - one for each of the 7 weeks of radiation treatment.

Each one will show through the colours, texture, detailling of my MODERN PRIMITIVE WOOD PAINTINGS style of artwork how I am doing - emotionally - physically (the side effects can kick in on week two) and spiritually.
Please look through my Artist website - http://bronsonsmith.com to see examples of my style of artwork as well as newspaper articles and video interviews. I have been very transparent about my cancer.
I may not be excited about dealing with the radiation treatments but I am looking forward to the freedom to create this project (for a possible touring exhibition - regional galleries - hospital - cancer centres).
 .....
Reward levels-
1- $50 - a series of five (5) assorted artwork notecards - free shipping to Canada and USA

2- $100.00 - a series of five (5) assorted artwork notecards AND limited edition photo poster of one of my paintings ( this is just an example)  - signed in pencil and limited edition ( determined by number of backers) - free shipping to Canada and USA

3 - $500.00 - a series of five (5) assorted artwork note cards AND limited edition photo poster of one of my paintings - signed in pencil and limited edition ( determined by number of backers) AND limited edition photo poster of the final seven (7) paintings - signed in pencil and limited edition (determined by number of backers) - free shipping to Canada and USA.
This is an example of the work I have done in the first 3 weeks of treatment.

4- $1,000.00 - an original 12" x 24" Modern Primitive Wood Painting - to be chosen from existing collection or created new for you, the backer - east coast / Newfoundland scene -or- rural Ontario - heritage buildings / barns.
.....

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2LVytfmTQM&list=UUjIiASGG7IwcTILwe2dpK-A

Video Credit - many thanks to Lester Alfonso of MAP - Media Arts Peterborough

.....

“BLUE SKIES”
-24" x 24" 
- acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips 

©2013 - BRONSON SMITH

WEEK ONE - KICKSTARTER  - "BLUE SKIES"

I am feeling calm about my radiation treatments and hopeful.
I have just finished week one of my seven week radiation treatment. I feel OK and there is a calmness about me. I am hopeful that I will be able to reach my project goal and be able to complete the seven paintings.

I had a wonderful interview in THE PETERBOROUGH EXAMINER - October 5, 2013
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2013/10/05/for-prostate-cancer-victim-creativity-out-of-adversity

And today I was interviewed by Lance Anderson of PETERBOROUGH THIS WEEK - that will be available online October 9, 2013. We spoke about the project in length and if I would continue it if the project funding did not meet its goal.
The answer to that is YES. This series of 7 paintings (actually 8 including the inspiration piece) is in my heart and mind and will help me share with others this experience through my art.  The end result will be 7 paintings ($700.00 x 7) sold as a set - or better yet, be part of a touring exhibition. 
Going through with my radiation treatments for prostate cancer will be difficult at times.  It would be a great help if I do meet my goal of $4,000.00.
 .....

The first painting is called "blue skies" because of how I am feeling after the previous weekend's visit to Rochester, New York as part of a GFMPH cancer survivor and their spouses gathering. 
GFMPH  (good for men's prostate health) is part of an online support site that helps men and their wives/ spouses / family cope with and gain patient to patient information about PCa.

This week, the second week of treatments is going to be different. My Mom passed away on Sunday - she was in declining health at age 86 - had survived radiation treatments 44 years ago, recently had another bout of pneumonia, a stroke and finally, passed away in her sleep.
I have had some issues with the bowels, but am relating it to the effect of the fibre in the lentil soup I had last night. And have had concerns about acceptance of my treatments at work, which cast a shadow on my feelings. That has been resolved as of yesterday. 


Our first meeting with the oncologist will be tomorrow and I have no idea of what to expect... so if last week was "blue skies", I think this week will be "uncertainty".

If you have backed me - many thanks as I do appreciate your support. If you have tried to pledge but the button seems finicky - please, do try again. And for those debating it, please do check out my website to see my other artwork and what I have done these last 30 years. The perks / rewards are nice &  I feel this project is of value.

It is such an exciting and scary experience for me to do artwork just for art sake - being given that freedom through this kickstarter project would assist me in pushing that personal envelope and experience from adversity comes creativity and the freedom to create.


.....

“UNCERTAINTY”
-24" x 24" 
- acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips 

©2013 - BRONSON SMITH

WEEK TWO - KICKSTARTER - UNCERTAINTY

 Mom passed away on the Sunday - sadness and uncertainty about life and what it holds.

The second week of my radiation treatment started off on a down note with the passing away of my Mother, Shirley Elizabeth ( Betty) Ritchie Smith, age 86. She had cancer at age 42 complicated by radiation burns, and survived another 44 years - passing away in her sleep on October 6, 2013, after another bout of pneumonia, a stroke, and failing health.

Side effects are creeping up slowly - more wetting and increased incontinence (more marking on the guard pad I wear).
Which explains the change in sky with some grey clouds and other colours.

On Thursday, Oct 10, I was interviewed for CHATELAINE MAGAZINE - a national women's magazine to talk about the recent fundraiser for Toronto Hospice Association - "impressions of life" 
-
http://impressionsoflifeart.com/auction/  and later that same day, was interviewed by Jack Roe of the programme, ONTARIO THIS MORNING - CBC-1 radio - in which he then relayed our conversation on Friday, Oct 11, 2013 - 7:45am - should be available soon on their podcast page - http://www.cbc.ca/ontariomorning

-today, a local newspaper article come out - PETERBOROUGH THIS WEEK - http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/4150292-artist-s-weekly-paintings-reflecting-mood-during-fight-with-cancer/
-it was a great article and they have shown me so much support - as an artist and as a cancer survivor 
- but unfortunately, they called me, Mr Bronson, instead of Mr. Smith throughout the article .... 
- there is a well known Bronson family of musicians in the area-- so it may be confusing for some.
-hopefully all this push-push-push that will generate pledges - It would be great to reach my pldge goal and I would surely like to finish this project and set up a touring exhibition of it. Only a few days left.
.....

“MUDDLED”
-24" x 24" 
- acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips
 
©2013 - BRONSON SMITH

WEEK THREE - KICKSTARTER - MUDDLED

- coming to terms with Mom's death and not getting kickstarter project  funded - where will I get the support I need to get through this.
Even though I am posting this update on Monday evening, I feel it is / will be a reflection of how I am feeling this week during my radiation treatments.

I am "muddled" about how I am feeling about my Mother's death - how it relates to my own mortality if this radiation treatment does not stop the growth of the prostate cancer.
I am aware of the "possible" future and what it may include - not a pretty sight....
I am facing elements of fatigue and some wandering thoughts. I know I am tired when I repeat to myself "focus, focus, focus", so I can get a job done.
The side effects are building up - bowels are swollen so not much to the B.M.'s - actually gaining weight during this ordeal. Incontinence is tolerable - but wear a pad in the front and back of my underwear - just for safety sake.

I am very pleased with "muddled"painting. It is in a colour range that reflects where I am right now. Muted - sorta monotone - I am needing some more emotional support ( hence the ribbed foundations of the houses instead of carved in slats). Things seem to be louder and more basic and less b.s. - so bigger patterns and the squares on the quilts.

My partner, Steve, was concerned that I finished the WEEK THREE painting on Monday night and that it does not reflect what I am going through this week. 
Well, I wanted to show you - the backers and the others who are watching my project as it goes into its final hours - that this is something beyond what I normally do - who ever heard of me doing a brown tone sky?!?! Who knows what I will attempt next?

About three years ago, my sister, Debbie Smith Wilson (who lives with hubbie, Gordon in Australia) , sent me a pix of her living room. I commented on the wonderful prints from the Canberra Art Museum on her walls. I was surprised when she told me it was her own artwork. She had never shown any signs of being interested in art. She had a good career as a Nurse in Canada and worked along side Gordon when he was a practicing Dentist in Australia.
I found out she was giving her artwork away to people instead of selling it. I tried to convince her to sell them or give them to charity so they could use the money - her reply was, "I give my paintings to people who do not have art on their walls." Well, that shut me up!  :)
We come from an artistic family - mostly from our Mother's side - Mom, Grandma Ritchie, Great Aunt Katherine - me and now Debbie.

This year Debbie finally entered her first art show in her new little town of Jindabyne, New South Wales, Australia - showing off her paintings and her quilted wall hangings... and inher first attempt she ends up winning "First Prize" for her painting and "People's Choice" for her wall hangings.
I am so proud of her and wanted to share that with you.
My partner,Steve, Debbie and Gordon have been especially helpful during Mom's illness and passing, as well as helping support my art career this last year due to illness and such....

This may be my last update before the kickstarter project deadline, so I want to publicly thank them for giving me the strength to reach out and challenge myself. 

Kickstarter has been a great focus for me - with me getting ready for my radiation treatments and coping with the first weeks. Helping me focus and find meaning to what is happening to me and to understand that "through adversity comes creativity and the freedom to create".

I am very proud of what I have accomplished and hope to be able to continue this project so by the end of November I will have the seven paintings showing on my artist website - celebrating completion of "the radiation series" and looking forward to regaining my health so I can continue on as an Artist.
.....

I have had potential backers write telling me of the difficulty getting their pledges to work - some have given up... some have gotten through... kickstarter has their own answers (see "help" link) but one of my new backers has a solution ( which makes sense).
"...I have solved the kickstarter problem. You need to register as a kickstarter member, close out of the program and restart in order to make the pledge. It is done.... "
Some computer glitches relate to the operating system, the browser being used.. regardless, this works... hoorah... hopefully not too late....
.....


“BUBBLING UP” (ANGER) -24" x 24" 
- acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips 

©2013 - BRONSON SMITH

WEEK FOUR - FUNDANYTHING - BUBBLING UP (ANGER)

- after kickstarter.com concluded campaign and did not reach goal (an all or nothing situation)
- I got nothing.

- have started new campaign on fundanything.com -
 - angry at the disease - missed work opportunities - flailing about

I had the image in my head already and all the colours were chosen on Sunday ... so I will be painting the sky dark - with black - greys -a streak of off-white with a gash of bright red ... the anger ready to
escape ...
-my thoughts are flailing around right now - coming to grips with Mom's passing - sorting out the anger of how I was treated but trying to embrace the forgiveness I gave to her so she could pass on at peace... anger can be a motive.. can encourage to create things and be crippling at the same time...

-I am angry at the disease - having to go through these treatments - only minor side effects ( I am very lucky and very grateful) - angry at missed opportunities  for employment - financial stability ( artist <--> stable , in the same sentence? ! :D  )
- did my best to not second guess myself and went with how I am feeling.... almost halfway there - 14 out of 33 zaps.

- this art project has helped me get through this ... don't know where it will lead me or if it will fly this time or not... kickstarter was a learning experience - but I prefer this crowdfunding model better - no computer glitches this time - thank you "the Donald" (as in Trump) which is also my Dad's name).

.....

 
“HOPEFUL”
-24" x 24" 
- acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips 

©2013 - BRONSON SMITH

WEEK FIVE - FUNDANYTHING - HOPEFUL

- Hoorah! - a donor donated $2,000.00 to this campaign
- my sister and I are coming to grips with our Mom's death and grieving, new positions opening up at work
- feeling hopeful that we will beat this terrible disease.

Very pleased to have only minimal side effects to the cancer treatments. The machine was giving the techies trouble so we had a 3 hour delay - but safety comes first and I was willing to wait until we all got the green light.

Very very pleased with the $2,000.00 donation to my campaign from my anonymous donor ( through Gallery Q Inc.). It will help me conclude my project. I will be dropping off the 4 completed paintings to have them professional framed this week.
In hindsight, I should have left my goal level here at fundanything.com at $4,000.00 for the project, but I was embarrassed that I did not reach my goal initially with kickstarter.
I used my line of credit for the first part of the project  (about $2,000.00) and am currently working through getting out of debt.

Am I sorry for continuing on this project? No way! It helped me cope with this part of my journey in ways you may not comprehend. This project helped me "get out of my head" and focus on the work at hand and helped me cope: with my Mother's death; the radiation treatments; and the REASON for me having to do radiation treatments - the prostate cancer had returned and was growing - it had to be stopped!


I am so pleased to have finished WEEK FIVE  painting - "hopeful"
- this week looks like it will be hopeful - the donor donating $2K last week - new job prospects at work - still coping well with my radiation treatments - my sister coming to grips with her grief over our Mom's passing and I am halfway through my radiation treatments.

Started working on layouts for poster of final 7 paintings - will probably have to increase size of poster to take advantage of detailling of paintings.

Have enjoyed sharing my experiences at fundanything  and my project with others at the radiation bunker at PRHC. Two of the women who are dealing with breast cancer have actually named their tumour - so that the techies and patient are both working together to kill the cancer.
It doesn't matter if it is breast cancer, or prostate cancer, testicular, ovanian, lung, you get my drift.... - regardless of the colour of the awareness ribbon - we are all fighting the same beast - CANCER.

.....



Here are the stages of what I go through to do my artwork.
1 - drawing image on plywood
2 - routering (carving) line work and detailling into plywood - and sanding it so the surface is smooth and no rough bits from the routering
3 - built it up with strips of balsa wood to create the imagery of clothesline posts, windows and roof lines, etc.
4 - stage 4 is spray painting primer on the front of the painting (usually black or grey - which forms the colour for the linework  - and when dry - I roller paint white primer on the back of the painting/plywood to seal it in
5 - stage 5 is doing the initial colouring of the spaces to create the painting. Some colours need two or more layers to make it opaque and solid looking.
6 - stage 6 is taking painting to professional framer to have it framed
7 - stage 7 is photographing finished/framed painting for website and possible use of image for note cards, posters etc..
.....

“FATIGUE” 
24” X 24”
- acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips

©2013 BRONSON SMITH

WEEK SIX - FUNDANYTHING - FATIGUE

Well, I am ready to start my countdown tomorrow  - there will  be only ten (10) radiation treatments left - hoorah!
I have been doing well with side effects but the fatigue has finally hit me as of last Wednesday. Having one or two one hour naps during the day helps a great deal. And that is the reason for WEEK SIX painting - "fatigue".

It is not a depressing sky - just a night sky - quiet and dark with the light on ... but I don't feel like getting up - let me have another bit of rest.

It is still a busy time for me - I  am very pleased with the CHATELAINE magazine article  about my participation in the "Impressions of Life" fundraiser for the Toronto Hospice Association.
http://www.chatelaine.com/health/wellness/how-painting-helps-people-cope/

I met my Gallery Q Inc donor this week. He is a very nice man - shrewd businessman - art collector and philanthropist. He was very insightful about the balance of life and living and was encouraging about  some interesting ideas about future projects.
I do have a power point presentation about the paintings but don't know how to link it in here - but I can send you a copy via email if you wish. There was even a hint from another donor about turning this experience into a book format.
http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/the-radiation-series/updates

Many thanks to my contributors and well-wishers. Please feel free to share this with others.
Any further contributions would be appreciated to help offset the debt load from the first phase of "the radiation series" project. I reduced the fundanything goal level from $4K to $2K because I was embarrassed that I did not meet my goal using kickstarter.
All in all this has been a wonderful experience for me - helping me cope and serving as a journal to my radiation treatment journey.
.....

“JOURNEY'S END” 
24” X 24”
- acrylic on routered plywood with balsa wood strips

©2013 BRONSON SMITH
WEEK SEVEN - FUNDANYTHING - “JOURNEY’S END”

I leave it up to the viewer to decide and why this is different from the rest. It invokes the colours and patterns of the inspiration painting but has changed.

It is the end of one journey - the radiation treatments due to the return of my prostate cancer - and the beginning of a new one.


Hopefully the cancer is dead and I will be in remission again. My creativity is still out there for all to see. Will they see the changes in the landscape or the changes in me.

- end of original text for crowdfunding campaign -

.....

The Fundanything.com crowdfunding was a success. It allowed me the opportunity to work on and finish the seven paintings and have them properly framed. The series of paintings have been shown at: ERRING ON THE MOUNT - May/June 2014 and PRHC Art & Healing Wall Gallery - June/July 2014 and during KAST Studio Tour - September 2014.

 .....

I have a limited edition (350) signed poster of this series of paintings for sale - image is 11" x 17" -  $50.00 unframed - $250.00 framed - shipping extra
10% of the sales will go to Prostate Cancer Canada.
.....
For more information please contact:

BRONSON "BUNNY" SMITH
473 Donegal Street, Peterborough, Ontario,Canada K9H 4L7
705-874-9600 cell - 705-933-9600 http://bronsonsmith.com
tatt2man@mac.com - tatt2man1955@gmail.com

I have a quicktime morph of the paintings on youtube 

.....

PLEASE NOTE: I  have launched a new Fundanything.com campaign to help my finances get through a rough stretch & possibly find a buyer / donator for the "radiation series" paintings. 

Please check out my campaign and if possible, contribute, or share it with someone who can.


.....



No comments:

Post a Comment